1601 to 1605 E. 7th Avenue, Ybor City, Gutierrez Building (Currently Sulas, JJ’s Cafe, 1603 Tattoos)
by admin ·
Gutierrez Building (1601-1605 E. 7th Avenue)
Gavino Gutierrez, who persuaded Ybor to locate in Tampa and drew up the original plan of Ybor City, erected this northward-facing 2-story brick building in 1904 on the southeast corner of 16th Street and 7th Avenue. Among other commercial uses, it once housed the Pathe Theater. On the ground floor, the edifice houses shops, and on the upper floor are apartments. Single doorways
and wood sash windows set in arched surrounds in 10 bays on the second floor open onto an original balcony, one of the first in Ybor city, that spans the width of the front facade and continues around onto the first bay of the west side. The balcony rests on thin iron poles, features decorative wrought-iron railings, and is covered with a metal shed roof. Above the balcony is a plain brick parapet topped by a corbelled brick band. Despite a fire that damaged the second floor, the building is in good condition.
- In the 1920s, this was a drug store.